Wichita Art Museum Addition And Renovation
This new expansion and complete renovation of the Wichita Art Museum is the third major venture into the physical facilities of the museum. The original museum was designed by Clarence Stein in 1928. In 1975, architect Edward Larabee Barnes wrapped a new addition around the Stein block.
The museum now features an expansion proportioned and detailed to fit seamlessly into the temperament of the Barnes Modernist design. Its new entrance and lobby are conceived as spaces for all seasons, generously endowed with daylight and opening to a liberally landscaped plaza bestowed with sculpture.
The transparency of the lobby presents a crisp contrast to the monolithic masonry volumes enclosing curatorial spaces, designed to safeguard the artwork and artifacts. The new and renovated galleries include an internationally recognized collection of American art.